We are ready to begin producing a new game, “Run o' Muck” and need designs for the playing cards and character concepts for the augmented reality 3D animations.
The game in brief: The game consists of four cards; sea, stone, muck, and weather change. There is one other card that keeps track of whether the weather is sunny or rainy. The cards are arranged in a grid face down and throughout the game the cards are revealed in order for the players to traverse the grid, only being able to ‘step’ on the stone and sometimes the muck (depending on the weather). As the cards are revealed, the grid forms a map or terrain made up of sea, stone and muck. Essentially the sea, stone and muck cards make up a game board. Try to think of these cards as spaces on a board as much as they are a card to be played. The object of the game is to move your player piece across the cards from one side to the other. Players can move on stone and muck cards but cannot move across sea cards. Cards are also played from players’ hands onto other cards once revealed. Therefore the map changes as the game progresses.
We are in need of a design for the front of each card:
- Weather change (triggers the sun/rain card to be flipped)
And the back of each card (game logo or illustration).
In addition, the sea card has a special twist. Some of the sea cards will have a teaser for a monster or water obstruction on the card. For example, there might be a tentacle sticking out of the water that indicates there is a giant squid in the water. The sea cards should look the same or very similar except for the small elements that give clues as to what the monster or obstruction is that can be seen through the augmented reality app. These cards will need to have a high contrast icon or design element that can be recognizable with the augmented reality app. The next step for the project will be to create an augmented reality animation when the app recognizes the card. For example, the card with the tentacle will have an animation of a giant squid emerging from the water (emerging from the sea card). We are looking for 3-6 illustrations of the characters, monsters and other obstructions that might emerge from the sea card. These 3-6 illustrations will not appear on the card itself. Only the teaser for the character will be on the card. These illustrations will dictate the design style of the animations and match the card design and approach (think 3D). Here are a few ideas for for the monsters or water obstructions and teasers for the sea cards:
- Giant squid: Teaser for the sea card is a tentacle peeking out of the water.
- Ghost pirate ship: Teaser that appears on the sea card could be a subtle shadow of a ship over the water.
- UFO: Teaser could be laser beam shooting down a seagull
- Sharks!: Fin teaser
Use your creative juices. What would be cool to see emerging from the sea or sky and animating over the card?
The playing cards are standard sizes, 2.5 x 3.5. The designs should be able to scale larger as they might be used in the box design or marketing materials. CMYK at 300 dpi is preferable for printing.
The bottom line is that you can be creative and determine the style and tone for the game. We want the game to be family friendly (not too dark) and should have appeal to children and adults. It can be quirky, silly, funny, have a distinct tone or a little dark. When you look at a water card with a clue that a monster is under the water, you should really want to know what it looks like!
Thanks in advance for your submissions. The team is very excited to see your ideas!
In summary, we are looking for the following:
- Sea card illustration(s) (see the last bullet)
- Muck card illustration
- Stone card illustration
- Weather change card illustration (Should somehow connect to the imagery of sun/rain card so the relation is clear. Remember, playing this card triggers flipping the sun/rain card.)
- Sun/Rain card illustrations (Sun on the front, Rain on the back)
- Illustration for the backs of the cards (sea, muck, stone, and weather change cards)
- 3-6 monsters and water obstructions for the water cards with teasers incorporated into the water card designs including a graphic or icon for an augmented reality app